Monday, September 18, 2006

Off to a bad start


OK, here's my first post to my first KAL and I'm already whining and emotional. I wanted a project that would bring to mind my Mom's mother Alta. She was a big influence in my life and we practically lived at her house when we were little. She was a woman ahead of her time , very well read and intelligent. Oh, and fittingly she was also somewhat high maintanence. For example, when my grandfather died she had to have a mantilla like Jackie Kennedy wore to JFK's funeral. Nothing else was going to work for her. My mom went crazy running around trying to find the perfect Jackie O mantilla to appease my grandmother. Finally one was located and she was a grieving yet stylish widow. I wanted to do a "mantilla like" scarf, triangular in shape but not too big. I found the pattern that I wanted to use at free knitting patterns central called the Kevat shawl. It has a leaf motif, which I love and was flexible regarding the finished size of the piece. The perfect yarn had escaped me, that was until I stopped at Neighborhood Knits to pick up some Cascade Fixation last week. There in all it's fall color Glory was Schaefer Yarn's "Anne", a really lovely merino mohair blend. Sunday AM I was all geeked to wind up my skein and start in on my scarf. I had by ball winder set up and ready. As I was getting ready to start my DH was leaving to watch football at a friend's house. I thought "no problem I can do this myself". No sooner did I start to unwind and wind the mohair kicked in and within about five minutes I had a complete disaster on my hands. So my weekend was not spent knitting my lovely scarf but unraveling the holy hell of a mess that my beautiful yarn had become. After 18 hours (no kidding) of tedious and tearful work you see the finished result. I am hoping this will not be a trend and I will have some knitting to show on my next post.

5 Comments:

Anonymous kristi and otis said...

OH NO!!! Well, you did say your grandma was "high maintenance" - wouldn't her KAL tribute have to be symbolic? BTW, LOVE the colors of that Shaeffer!

10:03 PM  
Blogger Kelle said...

Sorry about the tangle, it happens to the best of us, ask me how I know.
I think that yarn will go well with that pattern and will make a lovely shawl.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Ok, I'm sorry, but I'm laughing--but only because of that "holy hell" link!!!

I hope your mantilla like scarf turns out. The inspiration for the project is wonderful

11:25 PM  
Blogger Kel said...

zpI thought I was the only person who used the term "holy hell" anymore. :o) That cracked me up. It's beautiful yarn though! I wish for a productive weekend of knitting for you!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Kel said...

Uh... yeah I'm special. that zpl at the beginning of my last comment was from the word verification thingy. LOL Ignore me, it's Friday I haven't had nearly enough coffee yet this morning.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home