Saturday, September 02, 2006

September KAL Madre Garcia Recipe of the Month - Mexican Rice

Madre Garcia made this rice when hubby and I were dating so I didn't feel left out at family gatherings because I was a vegetarian - the first bite I was hooked!!!! I found that this recipe needs to be seasoned to taste - if you want more spices, add more cumin or be creative and add some jalapenos or habeneros. This recipe is very simple but packs a good taste for the buds!

Madre Garcia's Mexican Rice
Ingredients
2 cups rice (slow cooking, no instant)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon garlic
1/8 teaspoon cumin
salt (to taste)
chopped onions
chopped green pepper
chopped tomato
1/2 cup tomato sauce
4 cups water
Again, it is about personal taste with how many vegetables you choose to add, I added two tomatoes, 1 green pepper, and 3/4 of a large yellow onion. It works best to cut them into strips or coarsely chop:
In skillet, add oil and fry the rice to a light brown color. Stir in all the spices, onions, green pepper, tomato, and tomato sauce with 4 cups water and bring to a boil.
Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender and

ENJOY!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Oh yum! Thanks for posting this!!!!

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Gail said...

This looks really good. I'm going to have to try this

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home