Thursday, November 02, 2006

Done.


That’s one of my favorite words. Lately, I’ve been relishing the satisfaction of finishing small projects, like my DOTD doll. I’ve been knitting for many years, but most of my projects have been sweaters. When you can’t devote all hours of the day to knitting--what with silly distractions like real work and taking care of the house and futile attempts to make headway on my to-be-read skyscraper of books--a big project tends to stretch out over a long period of time and, no matter how much you like it, become wearying. I have several such UFO’s in my knitting bag, and I’m having a great deal of fun ignoring them and working instead on little things which can be completed in a few hours or days, allowing me to say, “Done!”

I loved making this doll and thinking about my grandmother while I designed and knit and stitched. The face, with one tiny change (I added a nose), is based upon one of her drawings. Am I completely satisfied with it? Of course not. The hair’s dorky, since I’m not much good at making hair. And perhaps the skirt could use a bit of embellishment. But the reality is that I’m like this about nearly everything I make. There’s always something I want to go back and change. Sometimes I do, often I don’t. And even when I don’t, it’s still done.

So, my doll has joined the family. I haven’t yet made a shrine to honor those who’ve passed on (it’s on my endless list of projects), but I do keep a big collection of photographs in a corner of our family room, and that corner has both the lively energy of loved ones who are still with us, and the watchful, protective presence of those who’ve departed this earth. My DOTD doll sits in the armchair closest to the photographs, not far from an early 1900’s picture of my grandmother in what must be her wedding dress. I hope she likes the doll and understands what she means to me.

Thank you Amy and Kristi for coming up with such a great KAL idea, and for inviting the blogless contingent, like me, to join in. Kristi, my sincere condolences for your loss.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

I love her!!

12:47 PM  
Blogger - LisaD. said...

Terri,

Lovely meeting you yesterday at Amy's DOTD party. I am so thrilled that I was able to see your doll in person. It is gorgeous. Thanks also for the yummy and creative treats you brought to share.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home